The following are some of the disadvantages of Point of Purchase advertising.
1. Its coverage is much less.
2. Mere display of goods does not provide all the information the buyer wants.
3. It may attract the passerby. But there is no guarantee that he will buy.
4. Only large-scale retail establishments can undertake window display of goods.
5. Display, by itself, cannot induce the buyer to buy.
What is Direct Mail?
It is a direct approach by which the prospective buyers are informed through letters, catalogues, booklets, etc., about the goods and services of the marketer. Publishers of books adopt such an approach. They send catalogues of the books published by them to the teachers to enable them to recommend the same to the students and also place an order for their school or college library. We are living in an era of Internet, which allows any such offer to be sent by E-Mail.
Advantages of Direct Mail
1. The advertisement material can be sent only to the prospective buyers.
2. It is economical. Catalogues, etc., are sent only by book-post. If it is sent by E-mail, it costs nothing.