Advertising in Magazines
Magazines are of different types. They are general magazines and Special magazines. Advertising in magazines are both advantages and disadvantages in some ways. This article lists some of the advantages and disadvantages of advertising in magazines.
Merits of Advertising in Magazines
1. Magazine is something read leisurely. An advertisement, therefore, in a magazine can create better impact.
2. The quality of paper used for magazines is superior. Therefore, better visual effects can be created.
3. As the frequency of publication is less, each issue is read over a fairly longer period of time. Therefore, it is possible to create a lasting impression.
4. As there are different types of magazines, the advertiser can select the particular magazine in which the product can be advertised to create the desired impact. For example, products used only by women can be advertised in magazines intended for women..
5. As the size of the magazine is small, the number of advertisements published in a page may be restricted to just one or two. As a result, the advertisement gets prominence. This is in contrast to newspapers where there is crowding of advertisements in each page.
6. Advertisements in magazines brought out at national or international level can give a very good impact particularly if the product is marketed globally, e.g., electronic goods.
Demerits of Magazines
1. In a newspaper, every page has some significance. For example, the first page, the sports page, the centre page, the business review page and so on. Therefore, the advertiser can select the page where he thinks the advertisement should appear. Such an advantage is not available in the case of magazines.
2. Unlike newspapers, magazines have only limited circulation. As a result, the advertisement may not reach many.
3. The price of the magazine is generally high. Therefore, not many people buy it.
4. These days, people hardly find time to go through even newspapers. Only a very few people go through magazines.
5. Advertisements in magazines cannot be brought out as quickly as it is possible in the case of newspapers.
6. For new product advertisement in magazine alone is not enough.