Roles and Responsibilities of Team Members
Teams are usually selected or authorized by the Quality Council. A team normally consists of Team leader, Facilitator, Recorder, Timekeeper and Members. Each and every member have their own responsibilities. They play their role for the welfare of the team. Some of the roles and responsibilities of team members are briefly explained below.
1. Role and Responsibilities of Team leader
A team leader is selected by the quality council, sponsor or the team itself.
1. Team leader ensures smooth and effective operations of the team.
2. He ensures that all members participate during the meetings and he prevents members from dominating the proceedings unnecessarily.
3. He serves as a mediator between the team and the Quality Council.
4. He implements the changes recommended by the team.
5. He prepares the agenda of all meetings and ensure necessary resources are available for the meeting.
6. Team leader ensures that team decisions are taken by consensus rather than unilaterally.
2. Role and Responsibilities of Facilitator
Facilitator is not a member of the team. Yet his role in the team is indispensable.
1. Facilitator supports the leader for facilitating the team during initial stages of the team.
2. He focuses on team process.
3. He acts as resource to the team
4. He provides feed back to the team concerning the effectiveness of the team process.
3. Role and Responsibilities of Team Recorder
1. Team recorder is selected by the team leader or by the team and may be rotated on a periodic basis.
2. He documents the main ideas of the team’s discussion.
3. He presents the documents for the team to review during the meeting and distribute them as ‘minutes of the meeting‘ afterwards.
4. He participates as a team member.
4. Role and Responsibilities of Time keeper
1. Time keeper is selected by the leader or by the team and may be rotated on a periodic basis.
2. He monitors the time to maintain the schedule as per agenda.
3. He participates as a team member.
5. Role and Responsibilities of Individual Member
1. Team member is selected by the leader, sponsor, or quality council (or) is a member of a natural work team.
2. He should actively, participate in meetings and shares knowledge, expertise, ideas and information.
3. He should respect others’ contribution.
4. He should listen carefully and ask questions.
5. He should be enthusiastic.
6. He should work for consensus on decisions.
7. He should be committed to team objectives.
8. He should carry out assignments between meetings such as collecting data, observing processes, charting data and writing reports.