Benefits of Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
1. Total Productive Maintenance helps to take immediate attention to some smaller problems before the problem aggravates.
2. Reduction in total manpower.
3. Reduction in delays and downtime losses by reducing breakdowns and equipment failures and by reducing adjustment and set up times e.g., guide setting, tool and dies changing etc.
4. Reduction in speed losses, by reduction of idle times and minor stoppages caused by operator-maintenance interfacing and by reducing losses because of lower speed and lower rate of output than designed.
5. Reduction in losses by defectives and yield losses by improving the quality output and by quicker stabilization of production.
6. TPM ensures better and more energy saving measures and also better safety of men and machine as all concerned persons know about the equipment and those devices.
7. TPM ensures quicker availability of quality spares, materials and other services as the persons responsible for these are also more involved and connected with maintenance and up-keep of equipment.
Direct Benefits of Total Productive Maintenance
1. Increase in productivity and Overall Plant Efficiency by 1.5 or 2 times.
2. Customer complaints are rectified swiftly.
3. Manufacturing cost is reduced considerably by up to 30%.
4. As the right quantity in the required quality is delivered to customer at the right time, their needs are satisfied by 100%.
5. Accidents are reduced considerably.
6. Decrease in pollution levels by following pollution control measures.
Indirect Benefits of Total Productive Maintenance
1. Total productive Management ensures higher confidence level among the employees.
2. Better upkeep of the work place by making it clean, neat and attractive.
3. Favorable change in the attitude of the operators.
4. TPM helso to achieve the preset goals by working as group.
5. Horizontal deployment of a new concept in all areas of the organization.
6. Sharing of knowledge and experience.
7. Obtaining of a feeling of owning the machine by the workers
Thus, TPM is probably the most advantageous system of upkeep of the plant, maximizing plant effectiveness, improving the productivity of personnel and changing the work culture and corporate culture. This can easily be adopted by big Indian Industries like steel plants. Of course, TPM can also accommodate modern techniques like online condition monitoring, expert-systems., artificial intelligence etc.
TPM differs from decentralized maintenance. In decentralized maintenance operation maintenance personnel may stay together at work spot but the involvement of the two sections remains completely different.