A ‘Package‘ is nothing but a container in which things are packed. ‘Packing‘ is the process of covering or wrapping goods into a package. ‘Packaging‘ is the process of designing or producing the container itself.
Functions of Package
1. To protect the contents from getting spoiled or damaged.
2. To allow easy handling of certain bulky goods like rice, wheat, sugar, etc.
3. To facilitate transportation of goods to different places.
4. To facilitate storage of goods in warehouses. Packed goods can be easily placed in a warehouse.
5. To prevent loss of goods due to evaporation, pilferage and so on.
6. To provide space for giving details of the goods like price, quantity, date of manufacturing, etc.
7. To allow space also for pasting label.
8. To provide scope for reuse. Bottles, for example, can be reused.