Understanding Decentralized Correspondence
Each functional department is expected to make an arrangement for correspondence under decentralized correspondence system. A separate person is nominated to do the work of mail handling. He is responsible for receiving, drafting, production and dispatching of correspondence independently. The stamping work is also performed by the concerned staff. The other name of decentralized correspondence is departmental correspondence.
Advantages of Decentralized Correspondences
The main advantages of decentralized system of correspondence are as follows:
1. Quick Reply: The required information to draft a correspondence is available within the department itself. Therefore, correspondence can be prepared and send the same quickly.
2. Smooth Flow of Work: There is no interruption of work under decentralized correspondence system. Hence, there is a smooth flow work in every department.
3. Clear cut Information: The letters are based on first hand information. Therefore, valid correspondence is possible.
4. Flexibility: Decentralized permits every functional department to work independently. It results greater flexibility in handling correspondence.
5. Loyalty: Functional staffs tend to develop a sense of loyalty towards the department. They take personal interest in the work of their department.
Disadvantages of Decentralized Correspondence
The disadvantages of a decentralized system are
1. Lack of Proficiency: Drafting a correspondence is an art. But the departmental staff lacks such proficiency. This may create a poor impression about the organization and adversely affect its reputation.
2. Operational Problems: The departmental staffs perform the correspondence work in addition to their routine work. There may be congestion of work and effectiveness may be reduced.
3. Lack of Quality and Approach: The letters are written by various departments in different style and approach. There is no uniformity in dealing with customers.
4. Lack of Specialization: The departmental staffs do all the work along with dealing of correspondence. Hence, he is not specialized in any work. So the benefits of specialization are not available.
5. Under Utilization of Resources: Mechanical devices cannot be used effectively. Most of the time, the typewriting machine is kept ideal in every department.
6. Duplication: Each department handles its own correspondence. Such duplication may cause delays and unnecessary expenditure. For example, purchase of stationery.