Table of Contents
Traditional methods or conventional methods are not suitable for modern office. Hence many sophisticated methods have been found out. Horizontal filing is one of the modern method used in office filing system.
What is Horizontal filing?
The Horizontal filing indicates the horizontal position of files. The papers, documents and letters are kept in a horizontal or flat position in such a way that one on the top of another. The filing is made on date wise.
Horizontal filing varieties
Horizontal filing come in a variety of folders. They are
1. Flat Files
A separate file is allotted to each customer or subject. The covers of file are made up of cardboard or thick paper. All the papers, documents or letters relating to the specified customer or subject are arranged in such a way that they are received as written. If any matter is required to more than one file then required number of copies is taken for each file so that each concerned file can have a copy. The letters or papers are punched before filing. The metal hinges of the file are then passed into these holes. In this way, papers are arranged in a chronological order.
The files are put one on top of the others and put in cupboards. Now, there is a change i.e. files are placed in drawers. The required files are found out very easily if the files are properly numbered and indexed. It is necessary to maintain movement of file register so that where about of file is easily find out. If a file is sent to any person or official, a sheet is kept in its place. An index can be prepared to know the files which are maintained in each cupboard and placed in the cupboard itself.
2. Arch Lever Files
This type of file has cardboard folders with metal arches. These arches are operated by a lever. The filing papers can be punched with two holes. Then, the lever can be moved upward for opening of arches or springs. After the paper is inserted through the holes, lever is pressed down in order to close the springs. The papers lay one upon the other in file. This filing method is very simple to operate and economical also. The papers and letters are preserved very neatly. Any document can be referred without even removing the papers lying upon it.
Advantages of Horizontal Filing
The following benefits are derived from horizontal filing
1. It is simple to understand and operate.
2. The papers can be easily found out since they are filled in chronological order.
3. There is no chance of missing and misplacing of papers filed. The reason is that papers are fixed on the arch.
4. The documents can be referred to without removing them from the file.
5. The cost of maintenance of filing is very cheap.
6. The documents are maintained with free of dust.
Disadvantages of Horizontal Filing
The disadvantages of horizontal filing are presented below.
1. The removing of any paper or letter is very difficult since the papers or letters are filed one on the other.
2. There is a need of more office space for maintenance.
3. The maintenance of an index is required in order to locate the desired file.
4. There is no chance for expansion.
5. It is not suitable for large organizations.