Office manuals are prepared according to the needs of an office. The needs of an office are determined by the functions of an office. Functions of an office are varying according to the nature of business carried on by an organization. So there is a possibility of preparing different types of office manuals. Separate manuals are prepared for a specified purpose by most offices for the sake of convenience. Some of the major types of office manuals are presented below.
Types of office manuals
1. Policy Manual: Every organization has its own policy which is served as basic guide to action. The entire activities of an organization are fully guided by policy manual. A policy manual lays down the decision of the Board of Directors by passing resolution at their meeting
2. Organizational Manual: The organizational manual describes the organization structure. The duties and responsibilities of each employee in department wise or section wise or division wise are also explained along with the line of Authority and responsibilities connected with them. Each employee can understand the relationship with others. Sometimes, a separate manual is prepared for each department in case of multinational corporations.
3. Administrative Practice Manual: Standard methods and procedures for effective performance of work are given in this manual. Separate methods and procedures are given for each department specifically, if needed. Besides, this manual contains guidelines and instructions on education required to an employee and training of employees, format of correspondence and reports, the interrelationship of office employees and the like.
4. Departmental Practice Manual: This manual deals with policy of the concerned department, methods and procedures followed in the concerned department. This type of manual is prepared for each department separately.
5. Mailing Manual: The handling procedure for inward mails or letters and format letters for dispatching are given in this manual. The letter drafting procedure is also given in this manual.
6. Filing Manual: The names of the files to be maintained in an office are given in this manual. Besides, the preparation of tile and its maintenance are also clearly discussed.
7. Rules and Regulations Manual: Rules and regulations are very much important to every office employee. Everybody should work according to the rules and regulations. Various types of leave are availed by the office employees. The number of such leave and their availing procedure are given in this manual.
8. Historical Manual: An employee should know something about his enterprise. This manual contains brief history of an enterprise. Name and address of the enterprise, founder(s), objectives for establishing such enterprise, circumstances under which the enterprise is established, capital required and contributed by the founder(s), registration, coverage of law and the like are briefly discussed. This information is highly useful to new entrants in an office.
9. Multi – Purpose Manual or Hand Book: Some offices prefer to have a single manual instead of several manuals such as discussed above; If so, only relevant and important information are combined in the form of a hand book. In such a way, multi-purpose manual is prepared.
The information included in a manual of one office may not be the same of another office. In other words, the contents of a manual are according to the needs and preferences of the concerned office.