Filing routine means the receiving of papers, placing them in the concerned files and issue of files for ready reference. The establishment of a proper filing routine is necessary for effective management of records.
Steps involved in maintaining efficient filing routine
The following steps are involved for maintaining an efficient filing routine.
1. Instruction for Filing: A responsible officer should give an instruction for filing in writing. Then, only the concerned documents and papers are maintained in a proper file. No document should be filed without such an instruction.
2. Classification: The filing documents and papers are classified according to the classification system decided in advance. Then, the clerk can file the received documents and papers. The system of classification is decided only by the experienced and responsible person to avoid misfiling.
3. Indexing: A code number and a heading for each file is prepared by the filing clerk and kept the same in the relevant file. Then, the filing clerk will prepare the index relating to the papers filed by him.
4. Cross Reference: There is a need of cross reference to certain documents and papers. For which, cross reference cards is prepared and inserted in the relevant files by the filing clerk for easy reference.
5. Follow up Slip: The follow up action is necessary to purchase order and credit sales. The details of purchase order and sales are notes down by the concerned officer. Then, the filing clerk can prepare follow up slip and attaches it to the relevant file.
6. Issue of Files: Whenever a file is necessary for reference to an executive, he can send a requisition slip to the filing clerk. Then, the filing clerk can prepare an issue slip or issue card to know the whereabouts of the file. The file will be sent to the concerned officer after preparing issue slip or issue card. Whenever the issued file is received back, the issue slips or issue card is removed and destroyed.
7. Disposal of Obsolete Files: The inactive files and unnecessary files are transferred to the store room. When the file becomes obsolete or dead, the same can be destroyed according to the policy of the management.