What is a Cash Register?
The cash register is a device used at Point of Sale to calculate and record sales and transactions electronically, in a business.
The cash register is equipped with a drawer at the bottom which is used to store the cash. This device will automatically print a receipt after you register the value of the purchased items and also records the cash transactions according to the manual transaction of sale executed at POS.
It is a very effective tool for any business that helps in the sales process. In addition, the cash register will provide a receipt to the customer with the references about the purchase. As this comes with a drawer, it is ideal for protecting money. There are different types of cash register, but they usually serve similar purpose. Here are the basic steps to operate this machine.
The following are the important steps in using a cash register:
1. Verify that the cash register has a tape. This will be the receipt that you give to the customer which provides a record of the sale for you.
2. Make sure the drawer of the cash register is ready. The drawer is where you store the money in a cash register. There is a place for change and bills and usually large bills and receipts for credit cards are stored under the drawer.
3. Scans the products when you attend to a customer. Each item that a customer wants to buy has to be scanned by the cash register. This includes the number of items left in stock and price of the product.
4. After all items have been scanned press the “Total” button in the cash register, and this will be displayed in the register. It then informs the client the amount of money they owe.
5. Enter the amount of money that customer give you, in the cash register and it will automatically indicate the change you should give the customers. For example, if the client owes you $30 and you get $50, the register will calculate and tell you that you must give the customer $20 back.
6. Accept credit cards as a form of payment. If a customer pays with a credit card instead of cash, there is a machine that will be used for the transaction. The receipt that you get from the cash register will have this information. The copy of receipts for customers is the copy that you need to place in the cash register instead of money.
7. Complete the sale by giving the receipt to customer. Now you have learned how to use the cash register.