Duties and Responsibilities of Sales Manager
The following are some of the most important duties and responsibilities of Sales Manager in an organization.
1. One of the most important duties of a Sales Manager is to plan and organize market research.
2. He should establish proper proper sales policy based on the market research.
3. Sales manager has to advise the board of directors about the location and the layout of the sales office, opening or closure of branch offices, the sales policy to be adopted and all other matters relating to the business of the firm.
5. He should forecast sales accurately or scientifically.
6. Sales manager has to prepare sales budget.
8. Sales manager has to arrange for careful selection and appointment of the salesmen.
9. He has to arrange for the training of the sales force.
11. He has to devise the best method of remunerating the salesmen and motivating them to give their best to the firm.
12. He must create a team of competitive and efficient salesmen by effective supervision and control.
13. A sales manager must make a careful study of the competitors, products and sales policies and alter the products and the sales policies accordingly.
14. He has to decide about the proper channels of distribution.
15. He has to be in constant search of new and profitable markets.
16. He has to define clearly the line of authority flowing from him to the heads of the various departments of the sales organization and their respective staff.
17. Sales manager must delegate the necessary powers to the heads of various departments of the sales organization and co-ordinate their activities.
18. He must keep in touch with the dealers and customers and ensure their continued patronage.
19. He must maintain contacts with other departments of the firm, such as the production, purchase, R&D, etc.