The role of advertising in a society has been a subject of much debate. Advertising campaigns may be useful for consumers from the point of view of dissemination of information. Such information is necessary when buyers have to make a choice from the various products and services or from the different brands of a product.
Positive Social effects of Advertisements
The following are some of the positive Social effects of Advertisements
1. Informed Society: Through advertisements, the society is informed of various products, their uses, best bargains, safe handling of dangerous goods, effective use of scarce resources like petroleum and electricity, technological advances, etc. But for advertising, the society would have remained a less informed one.
2. Health and Hygiene Awareness: The advertisements on health drinks, toiletry products, sanitary ware and their installation, etc., make the people become aware of health and hygiene. Also advertisements on protected drinking water, effluent treatment, etc., help people live better.
3. Rights of Consumers: The rights of consumers are made aware through advertisements only. The spread of consumerism and awareness of consumer rights are also due to advertisements.
4. Preventive course for dreaded diseases: Dreaded diseases like AIDS are informed to the people as to their cause, spread and preventive measures against them.
5. New ideas: Generally, people are traditional. They should be informed of the development of latest technology. Creative advertisements render an effective service here.
For example, the sex of the newborn baby is determined by father’s chromosome and not of the mother’s. An effective advertisement would certainly help in dispelling the myth that it is the female who is responsible in sex determination of a new born.
6. Advertisements contribute to creativity of people: Look at certain advertisements. Your bathroom can be a glamour-room is presented by the Parry’s sanitary ware. Perhaps, next to nature, the art of advertising is more creative is anybody’s knowledge.
7. Environmental protection: Environmental protection is the need of the hour. The brutal onslaught on nature by indiscriminate felling of trees, letting off untreated industrial effluents into the open, growing urbanization and consequent burgeoning urban slums, etc., are brought to the knowledge of people and an awareness is created against environmental degradation.
For example, the Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board has launched an effective campaign highlighting against the indiscriminate use and burning of plastics. Such messages are brought to the notice of people through advertising.
8. Social changes: Social changes like accepting women as equals, empowerment of women, concern for the girl child and curbs on female infanticide, developing public opinion against child labor, etc., are created through advertisements only.
9. Quality consciousness: Concern for quality of a product, process, or even life, work, education and, investment etc., is promoted through advertisements.
10. Promotion of national interest: National interest ls promoted through advertisements as well. Complying with tax laws, complimenting export achievement, promotion of tourism, protection of monuments, creating political awareness of citizens, etc., are pursued through advertisements.